Sunday, February 9, 2014

This Land is Our Land

This Land is Our Land
February 9, 2014
(today’s Diet Challenge ‘report’ is at the end of this post)


Today it is one month since the water crisis in WV began. Pete Seeger died on 1/27, and in searching for some of the songs he’d written I came across a couple verses of Woody Guthrie’s This Land is Your Land he penned, one about income inequality, and one on the environment. And I also saw other verses of Woody’s much more hard hitting than the version usually sung. I had gone to a town hall meeting during which Erin Brockavich and one of her team talked about the need for this community to engage in ongoing community activism in order to start getting our governor to direct the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) to enforce existing laws, let alone getting the legislature to pass new ones. There were some mountain top removal activists there also making the point that in the coalfields of WV, the DEP has been letting coal companies destroy their streams and poison their water for years without taking action. So, one sleepless night, after writing a new verse to This Land is Your Land, I went down into my basement, set up my i-phone on a tripod and videoed myself talking about what’s been going on and singing This Land is Your Land. I found my voice, sad but resolute, and I am now committed to doing what I can to hold our politicians to the promise of clean water and a healthy environment, a cause I’ve only supported with lip service and a few donations until now. The video (with some editing), is fifteen minutes long and I plan to put it up on YouTube, but am trying to get permission from the holders of Woody Guthrie’s copyrights first. What follows is a transcript:

Three weeks ago on January the ninth, 2014, there was a chemical storage tank that leaked and spilled its contents, or at least ten thousand gallons of its contents, into the Elk River a mile or so north of Charleston, WV where I live. You’ve probably heard about it; it made national and even international news. Because, well, the water company, a private company, a profit making company, didn’t shut their water intakes, didn’t realize what the chemical was; they thought their systems would filter the water. So, it got into the water supply, and they figured out after a day, you know, several hours, that they had a possibly poisonous chemical in the water system in our city. So they put out a Do Not Use order to all the customers of this West Virginia American Water Company.

They cut off water to, you know, 300,000 customers in nine counties around the capital city of WV. We’re only a city in the city limits of about 50,000, so it’s a wide geographical area that they serve. And we were told not to drink the water, not to wash or use the water, except to flush our toilets or to put out fires.

After four days they started approving certain areas. They said, “Your water is safe now to use, to drink.” People are confused and angry and scared. And there’s been a lot of conflicting reports. There’s not much known about this chemical, MCHM, a chemical used in the process of cleaning coal to make it ready for market, for burning.

So this week, Pete Seeger died, and if you don’t know who he was, Google him and listen to his music – ninety-four years old, sang and was an activist for the Earth, and for labor and for every good cause in the last 70 years. And, you know, he was in the same, almost the same generation as Woody Guthrie. Woody was obviously a little older. And Pete sang Woody’s songs too, and so I’m going to honor Pete with a song he sang a lot, This Land is Your Land, this land is my land. But you know Woody wrote verses that you probably haven’t heard. I’m going to sing those verses in addition to the chorus. And Pete wrote a couple verses, and I’m going to sing those. And I wrote a verse, just yesterday, and I’m going to try to get through that.

This land is your land,
This land is my land,
From California to the New York Island,
From the Redwood Forest to the Gulf Stream waters,
This land was made for you and me.

One bright sunny morning, in the shadow of the steeple,
By the relief office I saw my people,
As they stood there hungry, I stood there wondering if,
This land was made for you and me.

Was a big high wall there that tried to stop me,
Was a great big sign that said, "Private Property,"
But on the other side, it didn't say nothing,
That side was made for you and me.

Nobody living can ever stop me,
As I go walking my freedom highway,
Nobody living can make me turn back,
This land was made for you and me.

This land is your land (sing it with me)
This land is my land (California)
From California to the New York Island,
From the Redwood Forest to the Gulf Stream waters (Katrina),
This land was made for you and me.

So yeah, those were Woody’s verses, and you know just singing “Gulf stream waters, and thinking about Deep Water Horizon and the tragedy that was Katrina.  Deep Water Horizon, of course the oil rig that spilled, broke and dumped millions of gallons of oil into the Gulf of Mexico despoiling their waters.

These next two verses were Pete’s verses, and you know, I don’t know when he wrote them, but this first one’s about inequality and that’s a bit topic right now, and it has been for a long time, but it’s just been getting worse and worse – inequality of income.

Maybe you've been working as hard as you're able,
But you've just got crumbs from the rich man's table,
And maybe you're thinking, was it truth or fable,
That this land was made for you and me.

Woodland and grassland and river shoreline,
To everything living, even little microbes,
Fin, fur, and feather, we're all here together,
This land was made for you and me.

This land is your land,
This land is my land,
From California to the New York Island,
From the Redwood Forest to the Gulf Stream waters,
This land was made for you and me.

Well, my verse is really about Mountain Top Removal coal mining, because as bad as we’ve had it in Charleston the last three weeks, people of southern West Virginia in the coalfields, and in Kentucky, Eastern Kentucky, Virginia, parts of North Carolina, maybe into Tennessee, are living through a kind of strip mining called Mountain Top Removal. They just plain cut the tops off the mountains and push ‘em over into the valleys. And, uh, you know it covers up the streams, miles and miles and miles of streams. It kills everything, and nothing can grow there. I mean they, they, they spray something on it, makes grass grow. They, they say, “You can put.. shopping malls there.” The place is so depressed, there’s nobody putting shopping malls there. “You can put golf courses there.” It’ll never grow back. It’ll never come back.

And not only that, but it’s poisoning the water for the people down there. It’s been doing it for years and years. It’s poisoning the wells. It’s poisoning the people. The rates for cancer are through the roof! And, these people are strong, proud people. But they’re giving up the fight, and they’re doing drugs, their kids are hopeless and their education system is failing because all the money’s been leaving. And all the jobs have been leaving, because it’s all done by machine. It’s not like the underground mines, which are dangerous and have big machines that require a little more manpower. It’s a, it’s a travesty. Oh well, time to sing:


Our Mountain Mama, they’ve spoiled your water
Cut down your mountains, it’s a true slaughter
But we will rise up and stand together
This land was made for you and me.

Well, that last line, This land was made for you and me, that’s not, it didn’t work for me,  it doesn’t work for me, I mean it’s the song,  I had to change that, because, you know, this land has been here before we were here, before the Native Americans were here. You know there’s a verse of this song written by Native Americans that says, This land was our land before it was your land, you stole it from us.” I don’t know the rest of it. But this land wasn’t made for us to do whatever we want with it—to destroy it….This land is for us, to take care of and leave for our children and grandchildren and those who come after us. And we have Got. To stop this Mountain Top Removal coal mining. We have Got. To Stop. Destroying our mountains, our rivers, our streams. And, you know, whatever cause, wherever you live, write yourself a verse for this song and add this line to the end of it. This line that says, this last line instead of, “This land was made for you and me,” “Saving this land will be our legacy. Saving this land,” wherever you are or come down here and help us save this land. Help us change our government’s mind.

There’s not a War on Coal.  There’s a War on West Virginia. There’s a war on the mountains! There’s a war on the rivers! There’s a war on the People of West Virginia! I’ve been here forty years, and like the people who were born here (I wasn’t born here), I love this land. And I love living here, and there’s a whole lot of people in this town  who are talking about leaving. And that’s the ways it’s been in southern West Virginia for years and years they’ve been leaving, and….(sniff), and not coming back…they love it, or…. so sing this one with me for the people of West Virginia.

Our Mountain Mama, they’ve spoiled your water
Cut down your mountains, it’s a true slaughter
But we will rise up and stand together, saving
This land will be our legacy
Saving this land will be our legacy.

The video ends there and the final credit reads, “learn more, donate, take action” along with a link to a site that serves as a clearinghouse for all the Mountain Top Removal and environmental groups working in the southern Appalachians: www.ilovemountains.org . I hope you will click and join me in fighting this scourge.

Here's how I'm doing on the 2-Day Diet. I'm half way to my goal!
Beginning weight 11/3/13: 209 lbs.
Height 5'8" Age: 61
Goal weight: 165 lbs.
Total loss goal: 44 lbs.
Beginning waist size: 43 in.
Current waist size: 39 in.
Weight end of week 14:  187 lbs.
Gain/Loss this week: -1 lb.
Total Gain/Loss:  -22 lbs.


No comments:

Post a Comment