Monday, March 31, 2014

Praise for Tomblin Where It's Due, but Criticism Too

(2 Day Diet stats and update at end)

Dear Governor Tomblin,
Thank you for vetoing HB 4588, the twenty-week abortion ban. A politically difficult decision, but the right decision for our state and the people of West Virginia. The claims of fetal pain were just excuses by the forces of the religious right wing to impose their beliefs on the women of West Virginia. Very few abortions occur between twenty and twenty-four weeks, and then it is doctors and patients together who must make decisions. women every day and help them through decisions about continuing or ending a pregnancy in dire circumstances. And you followed their advice. Bravo! I am a Democrat, I voted for you, and you have with this action made me proud.

But for all the children who are born successfully in West Virginia, I must ask you to reconsider your position on the EPA, and believe West Virginia must find alternatives to burning coal mined by mountain top removal (MTR) coal mining. Fragile infants should not be exposed to the health risks studies have shown exist in communities where MTR is used. It should be outlawed because of the permanent damage it does to our precious mountains, the streams it buries and pollutes, and the damage it does to the homes, lives and communities where it is employed. Not to mention the carbon and other pollutants the burning of coal adds to the atmosphere and the concomitant effects on climate.

Also, if young people are to live decent working lives, you must sign the minimum wage bill and stand with those who stand with the "97%": working people who deserve a living wage, free and fair elections, a trustworthy government that works in the best interests of ALL the people, not just the few and the rich. I am relatively well off, but I stand with those West Virginians who aren't, even if they hold and vote on their mistaken notions that their lives would be better with fewer government protections, regulations, and social welfare programs for those too old, sick, lacking in abilities. Minimum wage workers work as hard as they can and not earning enough for their basic needs. Even a teacher, if the sole earner with children, can be eligible for food stamps!

Governor, you listened to doctors, the experts on women's health and did the right thing. Now listen to the scientists and environmentalists on the effects of MTR on health of the community and on the economy. If you do, you'll come around to the point of view many of us share that without clean air, water, and protection of our wild places from huge industrial interests who want to take but not give back, the economy of West Virginia will continue a downward spiral into poverty such as we have suffered as a state in much greater measure than other parts of our great nation.


                                           ********************************

Just a word on this week's progress on the 2 Day-Diet. As I'd hoped when read the book, I would be embarking on a new way of eating that would become, like my decision to exercise regularly after I first learned I had high high blood pressure, a way of life. It is now. If I didn't lose another pound, I'd be happy with my current weight and I don't think I'd gain it back overtime. I'm 2/3 of the way to my goal, in no hurry to get there, and feeling really good about the whole enterprise. It gets easier all the time to eat small healthy meals and avoid snacking too much. This eating program has changed my view and understanding of what the body needs, and I am certain that after I reach my goal I'll be able to maintain it without restricting myself. That's because, it no longer feels restrictive. I eat well. I enjoy my food. It's just a much healthier balance of carbs, protein, and fat, and much smaller quantities than I used to think I needed.

My 2-Day Diet Progress Week 21, March 30, 2014 
Beginning weight 11/3/13: 209 lbs.
Height 5'8" Age: 61
Goal weight: 165 lbs.
Total loss goal: 44 lbs.
Beginning waist size: 43 in.
Current waist size: 38.5 in.
Weight end of this week:  181 lbs.
Gain/Loss this week:  -2 lbs.
Total Gain/Loss:  -28 lbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment